Header Pic Header Pic
Header Pic
Header Pic
Header Pic  PfeilHomepage arrow Chronicle Header Pic
Header Pic

Chronicle | Print |

Street name as mirror of the

In the previous century the way to the  inn "De Küper" or "Sandersküper" close to the border at the "Knalhutte" was called "Küpersdiek". Heinrich Sanders, born in 1776, was the innkeeper who at the same time built wooden barrels. He poured German "Foezel" or "Kummel" in  ancient shot glasses and  drew a delicious beer.

Successor of the family Sanders was the family Wessels-Sanders. Heinrich Wessels and  his wife Gesina, née Lütke-Hündfeld, fed on agriculture. Due to the marriage of the doughter of the family Wessels-Sanders with Wenzel Heffler in the year 1853 the name of the property changed again.

Wenzel Heffler then arranged a restaurant into
that building .


Inn of Gerhard Tenhagen


In the year 1887 Gerhard Tenhagen bought the  building with a real estate of  9.75 ha from Wenzel Heffler. Hence, today's common name Tenhagen-Sandersküper came into existence. At that time for the Dutch  urban population a walk through the moorland to the  inn close to the border was very popular.

Border crossing "Knalhutte"




Since then in the year 1852 a customs office was  erected and the way improved considerably, the bustle increased. Now, the farmers of Alstätte could deliver the peat directly  and cheaper to the industry of Enschede that  was imported via Glanerbrug (NL) before. In  1902 the increasing demand for coal for the steam engines in the factories led to the opening of the railway line Enschede-Ahaus. The customs office which became redundant closed, however, was reopened in 1922.  From  1945 to 1950  the customs office was closed as well. Sandersküper always adapted to the changing times.

Header Pic
left unten
right unten